Job Readiness Program
Employment support for refugees
For refugees and asylum seekers finding a job is one of the most challenging obstacles to good settlement. Language difficulties, lack of recognition of prior qualifications and experiences, and low understanding of Australian workplace regulations and culture can put employment beyond the reach of many who are hoping to build a new life in Australia.
Our Job Readiness Program assists refugees and asylum seekers to join the Australian workforce. Using a one-to-one mentoring model, CatholicCare prepares, connects and supports individuals to secure employment.
A key focus of this program is the building of relationships with Job Active organisations, employment agencies, training organisations and potential employers, to source jobs and training opportunities for clients.
What support is available?
The support includes:
- Assessment of client’s skills, previous experience, aspirations and additional training/support needs
- Support to identify and access training and development opportunities
- Group Information sessions on Australian Workplace Culture, Workplace Safety, and Behavior at Work
- Assistance to prepare a resume and standard cover letter
- Advice and support to search for employment opportunities, prepare an application, prepare for interview process, complete pre-employment documentation
- Financial assistance for training fees and for work-related expenses such as uniforms, safety equipment and tools
- Post-employment support for up to 1 month
Refugees and asylum seekers living in the Greater Dandenong area.
There is no charge to access the service.
News article: Job Readiness Success
The Job Readiness Program is proudly supported by the Noel and Carmel O'Brien Family Foundation.