Building Community Program
Creating a sense of home
The Building Community Program supports recently arrived migrants living in Pakenham to help build their confidence, skills and sense of community.
Nine per cent of people in Pakenham are from a multicultural background. Many are recently arrived migrants who have few local contacts. Our Building Community Program offers a stepping-stone to connect people to their local community.
The program offers:
- A community garden – where participants can learn gardening and horticulture skills while growing produce for their table
- English Conversation programs – where participants can learn basic English phrases and use them in conversations with other people in the group (visit our Publications page for the flyer)
- Information forums for individuals and families – to assist with orientation to a new country
- The benefits for participants of the programs include:
- Reduced social isolation
- Increased health and wellbeing
- Enhanced social and life skills to integrate and settle into the Australian community
People from a multicultural background who have arrived in Australia in the last five years can access the Building Community Program.
There is no charge to access the service. Some specific activities/events may incur a small charge or co-contribution.
Download a brochure for our English Conversation Programs in English, Dinka or Sudanese Arabic.