Adoption and Permanent Care
Balancing everyone’s needs
This state-wide service offers training, assessment and support for families seeking to become adoptive or permanent care parents. We work with birth parents who are considering relinquishment to ensure they receive advice and support to make an informed decision. We also have an Adoption Information Service for adoptees or people enquiring about past adoptions.
Our Adoption Services
Adoption in Victoria is the legal process by which a child becomes a member of a new family. When birth parents feel it is impossible to raise their child and decide to relinquish their legal rights and responsibilities, the County Court of Victoria can make an adoption order. CatholicCare is one of the Victorian agencies approved to make adoption arrangements.
For birth parents, we provide:
- information to understand the adoption process
- support to explore all options and to help make an informed decision about the future care of their child
For prospective and adoptive parents, we provide:
- information and training sessions
- counselling and support
- pre and post legal support for families going through the adoption process
Read our fact sheet for prospective parents
Our Adoption Information Service provides:
- information, records release, search, outreach and reunification services for adopted adults, birth parents/relatives and under-age adoptees
Information includes records managed by CatholicCare and our previous agencies, Centacare Catholic Family Services or Catholic Family Welfare Bureau.
Our Permanent Care Service
Permanent care provides a stable and secure family for children up to 12 years of age when the Children’s Court has ordered that a child cannot live with their biological family.
We support the placement of vulnerable children up to 12 years of age in stable and supportive permanent familie
There are a number of steps involved in becoming a Permanent Carer. CatholicCare can help with:
- information and education sessions
- pre and post legal support for families going through the permanent care process
Our Adoption and Permanent care service is offered state-wide; we can work with clients and agencies anywhere in Victoria.